Western Digital Red Pro - 4TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA III 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5" NAS Network Hard Drive - WD4001FFSX
The WD4001FFSX has been Discontinued. Replacement option is WD4003FFBX
|Warranty||1 Year Warranty|
|Availability||Yes - Ships in 1 to 2 Days|
|Manufacturer||Western Digital Corporation|
|Series||WD Red Pro NAS Hard Drive|
|Spindle Speed||7200 RPM Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Motor|
|Cache Buffer||64 MB DRAM Cache|
|Advanced Format||Yes - 512e (emulation) 4096 (4Kn native) Logical Data Block Length|
|Form Factor||3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive|
|Interface||SATA III 6Gb/sec (Generation 3)|
|Interface Speed||6Gb/sec - Data Transfer Rate (max) Buffer to Host|
|Data Transfer Rate||up to 171MB/sec Host to/from Drive (Sustained)|
|Interface Connector||SATA (7-Pin Signal and 15-Pin Power Connector)|
|Recording Technology||Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR) Technology|
|Life Expectancy||1,000,000 Hours MTBF (Mean Time Before Failures)|
|Workload Rating||300 TB/yr (Workload Rate Limit) / 600,000 (Load/Unload Cycles)|
|Shock Resistance||Operating: 30Gs write (2ms) / 65Gs read (2ms) - Non Operating: 300Gs (2ms)|
|Dimensions||(L x W x H) 5.787 in. x 4.0 in. x 1.028 in.|
|Classification||NAS Network Drives|
- Capacity's up to 22TB
- Built to run in 24/7 (always-on) Environments
- Equipped with a Multi-Axis Shock Sensor
- MTBF of up to 1 Million Hours
- Workload Rating of 300TB per Year
- NASware 3.0 Technology
- Error Recovery Prevention Technology
- Enhanced 3D Dual-Plane Balance Control Technology
- Native Command Queuing Technology
- Magnetic (CMR) Recording Technology
- Dynamic Fly Height Control Technology
- WD's IntelliSeek Technology
- Pre-emptive Wear Leveling (PWL) Technology
- NoTouch Ramp Load Technology
- Dual Stage Actuator Technology
- Two Demesional Magnetic Recording Technology
- Energy-assisted PMR (ePMR) Technology
- Rotational Vibration Safegaurd (RSV) Technology
- Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) Motors
WD Red Pro NAS Hard Drives
- Take Control of Rapidly Growing Data - Built for power users and medium-sized businesses struggling to manage rapidly growing amounts of data, WD Red Pro drives are specifically designed for NAS systems with up to 24 bays. Engineered to handle high-intensity workloads in 24x7 environments, WD Red Pro is ideal for archiving, protecting, and sharing data with a large number of users or multiple data-hungry applications. These drives add value to your business by enabling your employees to quickly share files, back up folders, and access data quickly and reliably in your NAS system.
- Exclusive NASware 3.0 Technology - Our exclusive advanced firmware technology, NASware 3.0, enables seamless integration, robust data protection, and optimal performance for NAS systems operating under heavy demand. Built into every WD Red Pro hard drive, NASware 3.0’s advanced technology improves storage performance by increasing compatibility, integration, upgradeability, and reliability.
- Built for Optimum NAS Compatibility - WD Red Pro drives with NASware technology take the guesswork out of selecting a drive. Optimized for NAS systems, our unique algorithm balances performance and reliability in NAS and RAID environments. Simply put, a WD Red Pro drive is one of the most compatible drives available for NAS enclosures. But don’t take our word for it. WD Red Pro drives are a reflection of extensive NAS partner technology engagement and compatibility-testing.
- Larger NAS Bay Shock Protection - WD Red Pro drives are equipped with a multi-axis shock sensor that automatically detects subtle shock events and dynamic fly height technology which adjusts each read-write function to compensate and protect the data. This combination of technology further protects the drives in larger 24 bay NAS environments and helps increase hard drive reliability.
- 3D Active Balance Plus - Our enhanced dual-plane balance control technology significantly improves the overall drive performance and reliability. Hard drives that are not properly balanced may cause excessive vibration and noise in a multi-drive system, reduce the hard drive life span, and degrade the performance over time.
- Error Recovery Prevention - Built specifically for RAID and NAS environments, WD Red Pro drives come equipped with error recovery controls as part of NASware 3.0 technology to help reduce drive fallout in RAID applications.
- Extended Drive Testing - A NAS system that has up to 24 bays is very demanding on a hard drive with added vibration and heat. This is why every WD Red Pro drive is shipped with extended thermal cycle burn-in testing to help ensure each drive is tested for extended reliable operation.
- Boost Your NAS - WD Red drives are available in capacities up to 22TB utilizing the OptiNAND technology’s capacity-enabling feature.
Desktop Drives vs. WD Red Pro
It is important to choose a drive purpose-built for NAS with the features you need to help preserve your data and maintain optimum performance. Take the following into consideration when choosing a hard drive for your NAS:
- Compatibility: Unlike desktop drives, these drives are specifically tested for compatibility with NAS systems for optimum performance.
- Reliability: Desktop drives aren’t typically designed for the demands of an always-on NAS environment. WD Red Pro NAS hard drives are tested under tough conditions like you might experience in your environment.
- Error Recovery Controls: WD Red Pro NAS hard drives are specifically designed with RAID error recovery control to help educe failures within the NAS system.
- Noise and Vibration Protection: Designed to operate solo, desktop drives typically offer little or no protection from the noise and vibration present in a multi-drive system. WD Red Pro drives are designed to thrive in multi-bay NAS system environments.
Write Your Own Review